2020 tested companies’ agility and adaptability to the unforeseen. The fortunate companies that were able to keep their doors open, have been learning day by day what is needed to survive and thrive in the future.
One essential piece continues to be pertinent – employees. Employees are the ones who are continuing to generate revenue, produce quality goods, and satisfy customers. Being reminded of this, it is critical to retain those skilled workers during these possible trying times. So, ask yourself, how can you truly make each individual employee a priority? – Through conducting stay interviews.
Stay interviews are one-on-one conversations that are used to reveal what is important to each employee and how their aspirations can be satisfied. Having meaningful conversations, that aren’t about topics like performance or attendance, builds trust and ultimately retains key players.
As you think about creating a process and developing information for stay interviews, consider the following points during your preparation:
- Introduce the topic to the workforce. Go over things such as the purpose, importance, and expectations.
- Inform individuals to be prepared to bring 1-3 topics that they would like to discuss.
- Focus on areas that are important to the person you are speaking with.
- Create a handful of open-ended questions and be prepared for follow on conversation (probing).
- Sample question: “When you come to work each day, what do you look forward to?”
- Confirm an area in which each employee feels comfortable to have this discussion.
To take time to prepare for stay interviews will enable you to accurately obtain immediate feedback that will save your talent and maximize engagement levels. Now that you have some high-level insight about the planning stage, you are ready to move to the next step, which is acquiring the skills needed to conduct interviews.
If you need help creating stay interviews or would like to address other strategies to retain and develop your workforce, get in touch with the experts at IMEC.
KEEP YOUR TALENT: Retain your Workforce with Stay
March 10 @ 11:30am
Attendees at this webinar will learn:
- How to create a process for stay interviews
- Topics to address in one-on-one conversations
- Skills that will make your stay interviews a success